Siemens Transmission and Distribution Limited – Demolition of Redundant 132kV Substation
Following the construction and commissioning of a new sub station complex, Siemens Transmission and Distribution Ltd appointed Connell Brothers to carry out the Decommissioning Dismantling and Demolition of the Redundant United Utilities 132kV AIS Substation at Penwortham
The site was an “OPEN TYPE” substation complex with numerous high level High Voltage structures.
Siemens carried out the isolation of electrical supplies to all the cables and equipment as part of their construction package of works.
The project works were executed working within and around the newly constructed and commissioned “LIVE” 132kV substation. This required the preparation and submission of detailed Risk Assessments and Method Statements for the proposed work which were reviewed and approved jointly by the project team comprising of:-
Siemens Transmission & Distribution, United Utilities Electric and National Grid.
Documentation had to be submitted 2 weeks in advance of commencement to the various stages of work on site for approval.
Scope of Works in brief comprised of:
- Asbestos Removal from various elements of HV switchgear, isolators and capacitors.
- Dismantling, removal and disposal of redundant 132kV apparatus, comprising Strain Sets, connections and insulators, Circuit breakers, VT’s, CT’s, Multicore cables and Oil Plant.
- Demolition of structures made vacant by the above to plinth level with trip hazards removed and surface made good.
- Decant, De-oil, dismantle, remove and dispose for scrap 3 single phase reactors.
- Drain all other equipment of Oil as appropriate and dispose of after testing for PCB’s.
- Demolition of Reactor Bay bund walls and disposal of rubble off site
- Remove and dispose of all oil contamination from trenches
- Cable and oil trenches to be cleared of materials
- Lift and dispose of concrete trench covers throughout site, break through bases to allow water drainage.
- Break down trench walls, backfill and stone up to match surroundings
- Attendance at weekly liaison and Site Safety meetings to discuss the varying phases of the work and the effects on the new operational substation
- Provision of all necessary records for disposal of materials taken off site. (Recycled Oils, Hazardous Wastes – Asbestos, Recycled steel, concrete and general waste.
Dismantling of the AIS Substation is to commence 29/10/07 and be completed by 23/12/07.
12 week contract programme
Client: Siemens Transmission and Distribution Ltd
Health & Safety: United Utilities Electric, National Grid Electric
For further information, please contact Steve Balyski on 0161 925 0606 or email@example.com